At Essentia, we’re a friendly bunch of ex-fund managers, neuroscientists, quants and engineers who are breaking new ground in the application of behavioral science to financial markets.
We enable our clients – investment professionals, portfolio managers and fund managers – to bring together rich data about their behavior and thought-process, which we turn into compelling, actionable visualisations and insights. They then use this information to make better investment decisions, and ultimately, improve their fund performance.
We are just over 5 years old, and have already made great headway in our market, won numerous awards and been featured widely in the press.
Essentia Analytics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Essentia Analytics are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. We encourage applicants of all ages.
We are looking for an experienced Python Developer who wishes to play a strong contributing role in the design and feature development in a predominantly Python/AWS environment and who is capable of strong individual contribution within a team of developers on their way to becoming engineers. The product is a mixed usage platform used by both external clients and internal coaches through cloud-based web UX as well as to internal researchers through data, CLI and IDE tools.
The functional emphasis in this role would be with respect to developing and maintaining products and features in our platform using development best practices and Agile methodologies, connecting the research libraries to the web UX, and working to implement an intuitive “infographic” interface for rapid understanding of behavioral biases. Whilst also providing an element of coaching and support to our less experienced developers and helping each other develop themselves. All technical staff at Essentia analytics also have some support and DevOps responsibility, so experience in such a role is also helpful, especially on AWS.
This position would suit someone with 4+ years experience developing systems using best practices and Agile methodologies, who might be looking to “escape into start-up” and be a significant contributor within a small development team.
You will have the following responsibilities as part of this role:
- Developing new features and products to form the backbone of the Essentia Analytics product portfolio
- Designing and developing the next iteration of our AWS cloud-based infrastructure and development pipeline
- Onboarding new clients data onto the system and working to continually improve the process through automation, scale-out and AI/ML
- Participation in planning and product processes as required for development processes
- Support and maintenance of production systems.
Do you have these skills and experiences to draw on?
- Working with Python particularly Pandas, ETL, NumPy and SciPy
- Development and delivery of a full-stack environment on AWS
- eXtreme Programming experience, specifically:
- Well-practised TDD or BDD habits
- Continuous Delivery experience
- Paired Programming experience
- Non-XP agile experience:
- Kanban / Sprints
- Practical support and provisioning of a live system, preferably DevOps
- Whole-system development and support experience (i.e. it’s not just about writing the code but running the system, too)
- Sceptical approach to new technologies, solutions, practices and processes.
Whilst not required, the following experience will be helpful in the role:
- Knowledge of Apache Airflow
- Familiarity with functional programming
- Delivery and support of system to non-development programmers – i.e. one where scripts or code was being written in an exploratory manner by non-professional developers to run within a platform (e.g. quants, spreadsheets, researchers)
- Finance experience, particularly hedge-funds or asset management
- Large, mixed schema data set management
- Experience of taking care of highly secure, encrypted data systems.