Essentia Analytics is a 5-year old fintech company that is transforming the way that professional investors make investment decisions. Our behavioral analytics service, provided to the world’s top fund managers, is powered by machine learning technology and is proven to help our clients to make measurably better decisions, resulting in higher investment returns.
Essentia has been honored with multiple awards, including The Guardian’s Startup of the Year 2014, the Hedge Fund Journal’s Best Performance Data Analytics 2015, and HFM Week’s Best New Fintech Solution for Hedge Funds 2016. We have been selected to take part in the Investment Association’s Velocity programme for future leaders in the asset management technology space.
The Essentia team is comprised of 18 FTEs and 9 Insight Partners in London (HQ), New York and Singapore. Our clients are some of the world’s largest and best-known equity hedge and traditional long-only fund management firms, as well as smaller funds and start-ups. Demand for our service is increasing rapidly as professional fund managers face significant countervailing trends, including stiff competition from low-fee index funds. Many now realize that they must continually prove and improve their investment skill using the most effective services and technology available. They are now turning to systematic and AI-driven approaches to continuous improvement – that’s where Essentia comes in.
Essentia has a very strong culture, based on authenticity and mutual respect. We embrace flexible working, and therefore place a high value on clear and timely communication. We have cared about diversity since day one and are proud that our team includes people from a wide variety of ethnicities, age groups, genders, backgrounds and interests.
We are looking for a junior researcher based in London who wishes to further their career in quantitative research and data science.
Using our extensive data set on trading behavior in the asset management arena, you will enjoy producing research reports and white papers that bolster our position in the marketplace as a leader in behavioral analytics for fund managers. You will be keen to improve, learn new approaches and techniques, and to continuously improve our output.
The position will suit someone with an academic background, preferably in psychology, behavioral sciences or quantitative finance, and who has some experience manipulating large datasets. You will be an excellent writer who can translate complex financial data-driven concepts into clear explanatory language, and actively participate in the development of high profile white papers and other research materials. You will be keen to learn new skills and enjoy the prospect of working in a fast-moving start-up environment.
In this role, your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Developing ideas for white papers and research reports from our dataset
- Producing novel behavioral insights from the dataset that can be developed into full white papers
- Producing papers that enhance our reputation as a thought leader in the behavioral finance arena
- Working with our academic advisors to develop papers for submission to academic journals
- Assisting the Research team in developing the insights from the papers into analytics for our individual clients
- Ensuring our dataset is handled in a manner consistent with our obligations to individual clients
As a junior researcher, we don’t expect you to know everything all at once, but we do expect you to have a great attitude. We have a world class team, and we’ll help bring you along and get you up to speed.
Do you have the following skills and attributes?
- A background in psychology, behavioral science or a quantitative discipline
- A motivation to produce high quality, consistent work
- An eye for the visual appeal of presentations and reports
- Strong written communication skills
- Self-motivated, keen to learn and develop your potential
- Comfortable operating in a start-up environment (ie. without infrastructure, with an appetite for risk)
Whilst not required, the following experience will be helpful in the role:
- Experience of financial data and/or the financial services domain
We can only accept people who already have the right to work in the UK.